Monday, August 18, 2008

Ezra's seatless bicycle

This is Ezra Caldwell's bicycle. You might think it's a trials bike, but it's not.



I've mentioned Ezra before as the guy who makes Fast Boy wooden fenders, wooden handlebars, and steel bicycles. Ezra, 34, was recently diagnosed with cancer of the nether regions. His doctor told him no more bicycle riding, because sitting on the bike seat can damage those nether regions.

So Ezra built this bike without a saddle, so he can ride his bike to and from his radiation treatments. All I can say is "Wow."

The bike features big fat Schwalbe Super Moto tires to smooth the ride and swept back handlebars for comfort. Clipless pedals are for safety. "Without a seat to fall back on," Ezra writes, "I am NOT excited about having one of my feet get kicked off a pedal on a bump."

Ezra has a blog to chronicle his efforts to teach cancer to cry [adult language]. Yokota Fritz wishes Ezra all the best!

This cancer treatment is expensive for a New York bike builder. Megan set up a PayPal donation page if you want to help Ezra with the expenses of his treatment.

3 comments:

  1. ...ezra...you are one awesome man & my heart goes out to you, bud...you have my greatest respect for the fortitude you're showing...

    ...it's like you're saying "doc, you can take one aspect of the ride away from me, but you'll never take the ride outa me or me outa the ride...

    ...as we say...WIN, EZRA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezra, my styrofoam hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god. That is so beautiful. I road my bike without my seat and it felt like an entirely different mode of transportation; like its a part of you.

    how does yours feel?

    ReplyDelete