Thursday, May 18, 2006

Kick the Oil Habit, Move to Greenland


Greenland from 30,000 feet.
Treehugger tells me about this new campaign to "Kick the Oil Habit" by fueling our cars with food instead of petroluem.

Cyclelicious is all for reducing our dependence on oil (even as I eat my lunch out of a polystyrene container), but I remain sceptical of the idea that ethanol can come close to running the transportation infracture we have today.

A good friend came up with this brainstorm: The glaciers in Greeland are receeding so before too long a ton of prime, arable real estate will open up. If about 30,000 of us move to Greenland we can completely take over the government there. About 5,000 read Cyclelicious on a somewhat regular basis -- who's with me?

As your benevolent dictator, I'll mandate bike lanes for transportation, coastal wind farms will supply much of our power (with a nuke perhaps?), and bands of maurading pirates befitting the Viking heritage of costal Greenland will make periodic raids on Europe and North America for supplies. We'll sign a peaceful coexistance pact with Iceland and perhaps Newfoundland and work to keep our population at something like a sustainable level (hence the piracy -- it keeps the population under control).

What d'ya think? What else can we do on post-global-warming-post-oil Greenland to make it the perfect society?


6 comments:

  1. Did you know that pirates net $ a year? Isn't a viking just a blonde pirate? We won't have to pay taxes! (If I'm invited, that is... since this is my first visit to your blog.)

    Funny topic... you should think of a name for your country.

    thisnext.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that pirates net $13-$16 billion a year? Isn't a viking just a blonde pirate? We won't have to pay taxes! (If I'm invited, that is... since this is my first visit to your blog.)

    Funny topic... you should think of a name for your country.

    thisnext.com/blog

    (sorry about the last post... forgot the amount!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cold for me.

    Maybe we could take over St. Thomas or something...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea. Can I have a high level cabinet position?

    ReplyDelete
  5. George, I'm sure real estate can be had for pennies an acre in Greenland. Sure, there's a mile of ice on top of it, but when it all melts you'll make a killing on real estate and St. Thomas will be flooded from the rising sea levels.

    James, Captain of the Pirate Fleet is already taken, but there are several other cabinet positions available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in , put me in Health and Human services! ::GRIN::

    ReplyDelete