Monday, August 7, 2006

Project Honeypot


Project Honeypot uses thousands of volunteers (including Cyclelicious) to identify spammers and spambots. The project creates fake and unique email addresses that are scraped from Project Honeyport participating websites. When spam is sent to these bait addresses, the email address is matched to whichever bot scraped the address so that the IP addresses of the scrapers become known. If your website supports any of a number of server-side scripting languages (e.g. PHP, Perl, Python, ASP, MovableType), I encourage you to sign up and add your site as a honey pot.

3 comments:

  1. That's so over my head, I have no clue what you're talking about. I get spammed about 100 times a day though, so maybe I should look in to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty clueless on this stuff too. Will it work with blogger, or does it have to be a site that is hosted on a local server?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Project Honeypot says they're working on a plugin for Blogger, but for now your own site with server-side scripting is required.

    ReplyDelete