Monday, August 1, 2005

Pimp my Fahrrad

Deutch MTV has created "Pimp My Fahrrad. In this parody of the American show "Pimp My Ride," Elb Coast Psycles of Hamburg strips down and rebuilds a bike. Go to MTV.de's website for videos of the show. Fahhrad is German for "bicycle."

A lot of American bicycling advocates like to point to "Pimp My Fahrrad" as evidence that Europeans are much more ecologically aware and bike-friendly than we are. The show is so over-the-top and campy, though, I think it's clear the German producers are making fun of "Pimp My Ride" by deliberately choosing the bike as something déclassé. Think of the old Grey Poupon commercials.

The Germans are mocking hip-hop's fascination with bling. It's the same thing that Jeff Foxworthy describes in his monologue about "Rednecks and Shiny Stuff." According to Foxworthy, that's why bass boats are glittery and it's why UFO sightings take place predominately in the American south. Maybe Discovery Team should make their bikes glittery to improve OLN's ratings among their primary audience -- people who watch fishing and hunting shows.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment