The 10 most dangerous cities are:
- 1. Detroit, Michigan
2. St. Louis, Missouri
3. Flint, Michigan
4. Oakland, California
5. Camden, New Jersey
6. Birmingham, Alabama
7. North Charleston, South Carolina
8. Memphis, Tennessee
9. Richmond, California
10. Cleveland, Ohio
I've had a close friend who's a cop advise me to carry a handgun with me because of my commute route, but I've never had any problems during nearly 20 years of commuting by bike through sometimes marginally sketchy neighborhoods. Female friends in particular sometimes seem more aware of personal safety issues when it comes to bicycling, which I can understand.
If you need to decide on the safety of your cycling route, I've listed some online crime maps that outline the level of crime in various cities in the United States.
- Chicago, Illinois.
- Crime Baltimore.
- Boston Crime map.
- Gothamist maps shows what's happening in New York City right now.
- Tulsa, Oklahoma crime maps.
- San Diego crime maps.
- Crime map of upscale Potero Hill neighborhood in San Francisco, CA.
- Crime map of Washington, DC.
- Berkeley, California crime map.
- San Francisco PD Crime Maps. See also San Francisco heat map of crime.
- Oakland Crime Map.
- Santa Cruz crime maps (available as PDF files).
- Los Angeles crime maps.
- Portland, OR crime mapper.
- Greenville, SC Crime Mapping.
- Grand Rapids, Michigan crime map.
- Houston crime map (click on categories for maps).
- Sacramento crime tracker also tracks crime data from Roseville and Folsom, CA.
- Topeka, Kansas crime map.