Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Google interview

I'm very busy today so I'll just post a quick personal note. First, several people have written to me personally and in the comments over the past day or two. I try to respond quickly but I've fallen behind. I'll try to get to you when I can. Please accept my apologies for the delay.

Secondly, I've applied for an engineering position at Google. I had my first telephone interview today. The screening questions were complete softballs: "Explain the difference between shift and rotate operations. Where are deadlocks useful? What are the x86 op code, mnemonic and operands for the set-and-test-bit instruction? Quickly! Recite Pi to 9 decimal places." I told the interviewer that her questions were much easier than I expected. She gave an evil chuckle and responded, 'Oh, they'll get harder as you move along.'

I passed the initial test and I have a second phone interview scheduled with the hiring manager. It turns out, incidentally, that I used to work with this manager at a previous company.

Will Fritz move to the Googleplex? Stay tuned to Cyclelicious for details.


9 comments:

  1. Good luck buddy! That is truly awesomenews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'm rooting for you...just don't forget your friends in the blogosphere when you're hired as we could all use a little extra google juice...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. Now don't forget the little people out here in the high country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy questions huh? I am no computer expert, but I can only answer two of them. I know Pi to 9 decimal places and, needless to say, I know where dreadlocks are useful. Oh wait, that says deadlocks; I guess I can only answer one.

    Seriously though, sounds like a great opportunity. Good luck going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so I am a computer expert and I couldnt answer any of those. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck champ!

    I've visited my roommate at work and it truly is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I gotta know though, when are deadlocks useful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. When are deadlocks useful? The answer is "never."

    ReplyDelete