Thursday, February 9, 2006

My $0.02

Greetings Everyone. My name is Michael and I am the newest addition to the Cyclelicious blog. I hope you enjoy some of my insight into all things cycling.

A brief background of myself. I started cycling around the age of twelve or so, purchasing a mountain bike with the proceeds from my paper route. After a bad soccer injury that badly affected my knees, I purchased a road bike. I started multi-day charity bike rides and progressed onto fundraising thousands of dollars for three different charities. Around the age of fifteen, I participated in a junior cycling program at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome, and participated in my first road stage race. At the age of seventeen I participated in a three-day, 180-mile charity bike ride. The next year, I was part of a week-long, 550-mile charity ride.

For the past six years, I have attended numerous professional cycling races in the northeast, creating friendships in the process. I am recognized yearly as one of the most animated fans of the races. Through networking, and good luck, I have worked at some of these races, been featured on TV at these races, and have even had the honor to go cycling with some of my idols. I've had the thrill of shaking hands and getting pictures with Lance Armstrong, Eddy Merckx, and Davis Phinney. I've even been on a ride with Andy Hampsten, something I could have never imagined happening, especially at the age of 18. The beautiful thing about professional cycling is the ability to get closer to your idols than some of the larger sports, such as professional football or basetball.

Hopefully, you will enjoy my look into professional cycling and the American influence on the sport. I'll try getting a few interviews with racers for you, and maybe some photography at the numerous races in the northeast. Sometimes I'll even describe the affect cycling has on my life. I encourage you to email me at SusquCyclist@gmail.com with any questions you may have.

To leave you today, I give part of an Irish proverb that I believe relates strongly upon all cyclists.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome! And may I add one more Irish proverb for your enjoyment.....
    May ye be an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead!::GRIN:: Actually, the proverb (Blessing) you posted is quite apropriate for a cyclist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the site and to the blogosphere!

    Safe riding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! More cyclelicious bloggers!

    ReplyDelete