Sunday, July 16, 2006

Bicycles and Engineering & Life

Bill Hammack is a Chemical Engineer at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign. When I lived in Champaign County, I used to listen to his three-minute "Engineering & Life" program on Illinois Public Radio. Bill tells the stories behind the material stuff that surrounds us - tupperware, spam, skyscrapers, and plastic bottles. His show is on hiatus right now, but he did a couple of stories about bicycles. In this story, Bill tells us the role bicycles played in creating our mass consumer society. And here, Bill talks about Terry Bicycles and designing for women.

I link to the transcripts, but the RealAudio are more interesting in my opinion. If you're a geek like me, enjoy a few minutes exploring his archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment