Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Night commute San Jose to Scotts Valley



I bought a camcorder yesterday, zip-tied it to my bicycle helmet, and hit the "record" button. Fear the results.

I demonstrate amazing feats of bicycling derring-do such as stopping at lights, yielding for pedestrians, signaling my turns, riding with adequate lighting and taking the lane. I also demonstrate a few "do as I say" things: filtering forward at intersections, passing on the right, and riding in the door zone.

If anybody can tell me how to keep my helmet level with a camcorder tied on the side, I'll be a happy man.

4 comments:

  1. To keep the helmet balanced, try adding an equal amount of weight to the other side. The only downside is that the rotational intertia of your head will increase, making it harder to check over your shoulder quickly.

    I think the people that get more into the helmet cam videos end up buying a separate camera about the size of a tube of lipstick and put the camcorder in a backpack to do the recording. It would definitely be more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karl.

    Making shoulder checks harder might be a good thing -- my frequent looks right and left are dizzying in the video.

    Lucas Brunelle has two camcorders, one each side of his helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fritz.... Very cool. I just propped up the laptop on one side and everything looked level!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was sweet, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete