Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Real life job interview today

I interviewed "Mike" today. I noted his lean, chiseled, athletic look, saw that he currently lives in San Francisco (50 miles away from here), and asked how he plans to get to work.

"I'll take the train and ride the bike the rest of the way in."

Mike gets around completely by bike and public transit. We spent almost the entire 45 minute talking bike stuff. As far as I'm concerned, he's qualified.

(It helps that the dude is a mathematical genius AND he knows how to code).

4 comments:

  1. Sure he was qualified...

    You never got past the whole bike thing, did you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I have to admit to a few "you're a cyclist? You're hired!" exchanges myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I wish my boss was that way.

    Got a job for a guy whose only experience is teaching 3rd grade? We have a lot of different skills, teachers. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done a few interviews like that myself. You have to keep reminding yourself to stay on topic. I hate that moment when you're happily chatting about bikes and you suddenly realize that the interviewee is convinced they're a shoe-in, despite lacking the necessary skills.

    ReplyDelete