Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How green is your bike ride?

Mr. Green is the Sierra Club's answer guy. He has a column about all things green that he updates weekly. In honor of Bike to Work Day, he's put out this discussion of the carbon emissions of biking vs. driving. He puts to rest the myth that fueling a bike (by feeding a person food that has been grown with fossil fuel inputs and traveled to them) is worse for the environment than fueling a car.

Read the discussion in Hey Mr Green, is driving better than cycling?. A hat tip to Carolyn in San Francisco for this tidbit!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm a little brain dead right now, but how do I read it? is there a link? (the Nyquil is working...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it true that cycling improves your fitness and your health and thus your life expectancy? Those additional years of life will increase your lifetime carbon footprint vs. a sedentary person who dies young. This is the real reason that Republicans are pro-car and anti-bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat a lot less since I started seriously riding, and better stuff too--which I suspect lowers the carbon footprint.

    At least I'm not pumping out CO2 idling in drive-thru lanes anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah sorry, there was a typo in the link so it didn't show. I've fixed it.

    ReplyDelete