Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Austin bicycle ride

I discovered some new and different routes in Austin with the help from the nice folks from Bicycle Sport Shop in north Austin. I found Mesa Drive, turned onto Steck and then connected to Shoal Creek Drive. I biked on Shoal Creek into central Austin, made my way to Guadalupe along 35th, into downtown, and across the bridge on Congress. This was way better than riding all the way across Austin on Lamar. I think it may even have been faster.

Since it's the work week now, the transportational cyclists are out to get to work and school, especially around the University of Texas and downtown. I saw several riders in the street Monday, as well as three or four on fixed gear bikes. One was even on a nice looking Bianchi track bike.

I also got lost (that was my own dumb mistake) and took a lovely ride on the Capital of Texas Highway. That's absolutely gorgeous with wonderful hills. Unfortuntely, getting lost meant that I got caught out after dark on the busy Austin streets with no front light. I stopped in at Ozone Bike Department on Guadalupe and picked up a little Cateye for $20 and continued to my destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment