Monday, November 28, 2005

Dave Zabriskie article

The Salt Lake Tribune printed a nice story about American cyclist David Zabriskie. Zabriskie's one of my favorites in the road racing world with his offbeat sense of humor and humble demeanor.

The story discusses his crashes. My most spectacular crash was during an otherwise forgettable Century somewhere in north Texas. A piece of handlebar tape had been flapping in the wind and it was driving me nuts. I was in the midst of a tight pack cruising along at 22 mph at the 20 mile point.

Stupidly, I yanked on the tape. That force input on my handlebar resulted in the handlebar turning sharply to the left, which in turn resulted in the bike swaying to the right and dumping me into the roadside gravel. A bike bunny hopped over me and a couple of others ran over me as oaths and curses were shouted. Miraculously, I didn't take anyone else down with me.

My shorts were ripped to shreds. I finished the Century in pain with my bleeding butt cheek hanging out and gravel embedded in my right arm and leg. And that stupid handlebar tape still flapped in the wind for the remainder of the ride.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I thought I was the only one to do something that stupid. Luckily for me, I was out on a solo ride. I went over the handlebars, gouged an old, white Bell helmet, cut up my shoulder and elbows, and ripped my groin so hard (one foot stayed strapped to the pedal) that I walked in baby steps for a week.
    There must be something about oxygen deficiency and flapping handlebar tape....

    ReplyDelete