Monday, November 14, 2005

Jagger 3 impact on Cyclelicious

This is another geeky search engine optimization post. If you're not interested in drawing more traffic to your website then skip this article. If you need help improving your website's search rankings, please feel free to contact me.

According to Google Guy Matt Cutts, the latest Google Dance (called "Jagger3") is winding down. Jagger is a three-part adjustment in the way Google indexes and provides search results for web pages. Jagger3 has a significant impact on a lot of websites.

The consensus among search engine professionals (as much as one can exist) seems to be that sites that practice "white hat" SEO -- optimization that falls within Google's Quality Guidelines -- are unhurt by Jagger, while Black Hat techniques are heavily penalized. Techniques such as hidden text, paid link exchange, reciprocal linking, and internal link building apparently don't work as well as they have in the past.

I practice mostly white hat SEO techniques, though I do occasionally venture a little into gray areas. I stay far away from pure black hat techniques such as spam blogs, scraped content, redirects, hidden text and gateway pages.

The result: Four-month-old Cyclelicious now appears on the first page of Google search results for the keyphrases that I've focused on. I won't tell you what those keyphrases are (though it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out), but I'm pleased on the progress thus far. I aim to be in the top three by next summer.

1 comment: