Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookbook for endurance athletes

Okay, add this to my Christmas list please. It's a cookbook for endurance athletes.



The Athlete's Plate: Real Food for High Performance promises to deliver tips on buying locally and organically grown foods to use in recipes to create "real food for high performance." Chef and athlete Adam Kelinson has recipes for smoothies and juices; power snacks; soups, salads and dressings; carb-filled pastas, polenta, and noodle bowls; lean protein dishes featuring seafoods, poultry, pork, and savory vegetarian preparations; and desserts.

I was turned off by the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) in the introduction, in which Kelinson used my favorite snack company as an example of problems with manufactured foods (he highlights the national peanut salmonella outbreak from last winter, but we've had E. Coli and Salmonella problems with locally grown organic foods as well), but the recipes I was able to see look promising.

See also: Stuff I like: Bicycle Books.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely be getting this one. I just finished a marathon, and im in the middle of training for a brevet. Nutrition is by far the most difficult aspect of training for me.

    I'm curious as to how extensive the vegetarian content in the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUD also stands for Female Urinary Device, like the LadyJ or Go-Girl.

    ReplyDelete