Saturday, December 5, 2009

On Wool

In my post on cycling apparel the other day, I completely neglected any mention of wool! Thank you to those leaving comments to correct my oversight.

Freewheeling spirit posted his thoughts on wool and included this gem from the 1992 Bridgestone catalog.

Wonderful Wool for Beautiful People: Is your cycling jersey petro or retro?


As many of you know, Grant Petersen was USA director of marketing for Bridgestone in the early 90s, and the USA Bridgestone catalogs were a kind of predecessor to the Lauterbrunnental Leaflet Rivendell Reader, where Petersen continues his promotion of retro / practical bike craft.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the wool! check out the smartest panniers on the market at www.michaudapparel.com - the ideal xmas gift for that cycling friend of yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. =v= Sheep-encrusted retrogrouch! (He writes in his cozy merino baselayer from, you guessed it, Swrve.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheep are for non-worksafe jokes at the expense of my NZ coworker and meat eating.

    If I wear wool, I get a rash. Therefore, while I appreciate some of Grant's sheep-encrusted retrogrouch nature, all of his rants on how wonderful wool is are completely lost on me.

    ReplyDelete