Thursday, December 17, 2009

I love you, You love me

Are we a happy family?

I just wanna say: If you ride a bicycle, you're A-OK in my book. I don't care what you ride, why you ride, where you ride, and what you wear while riding -- it's all good.

Prompted by Jack "Ghost Rider" Sweeney @ Bike Commuters, who wonders, "Can’t We All Just Get Along?"

Colorado Ice Biker
Why, then, is there so much friction within the world of cycling? In my 30+ years, I’ve witnessed the “us vs. them” mentality more times than I care to remember. Just off the top of my head, I’ve seen: BMXers vs. fixed-gear freestylers; Roadies vs. mountain bikers; Bike geeks vs. “fashionistas”; Gearies vs. fixies; Commuters vs. racers; Vehicular cyclists vs. fans of road infrastructure.

I sometimes poke some fun at any and all of the above groups, and I hope it's taken in the good humored spirit that it's given.

Except for recumbents, of course. They're clearly the spawn of the devil.

Just kidding! I love the bent riders as well.

9 comments:

  1. Ha, Thanks man.
    Sincerely,
    Recumbent Commuter who likes to race at HPV events and sometimes does Brevets

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy--

    To the rest of the world, we're all Fred.

    Happy Trails,
    Ron Georg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed. I usually go out of my way to.wave or nod to any cyclist I pass - even the inferior ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't even aware of the divide between infrastructure and vehicular cyclists. Now I have a better idea why the people riding on the road in traffic right next to the empty bike path glare at me. Peace to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Upon reflection and after reading the numerous comments our article generated, I've concluded that most of the "us vs. them" friction IS meant to be good-natured -- in the way that good friends will poke fun at each other.

    Not sure about the VCers vs. infrastructurists, though -- that can be a fairly vicious battle in my experience!

    Thanks for the link love, Fritz...but check the spelling of my last name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nod. Hopefully the non-waving-or-nodding brethren catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry Jack -- fixed now!

    Happy to be Fred....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...you guys should have a gathering of the tribes...

    ...for musical entertainment, you could invite:
    ...the grateful fred...
    ...fred e mercury...
    ...the fred kennedys...
    ...fred zeppelin...
    ...& u2...
    ...why u2 ???...well, 'cuz bono wants to bring EVERYONE together !!!...

    ...just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete