Thursday, September 3, 2009

David Byrne Bicycle Diaries

Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne I got a preview copy of David Bryne's new book, Bicycle Diaries. Byrne of Talking Heads fame started using a bike to get around New York City in the 80s. Before long, he started toting a folding bike around while touring. "I discovered that zipping from one place to another by bike was amazingly fast and efficient," Byrne writes in the introduction. "I felt more connected to the life on the streets."

Byrne's writes about these connections in Bicycle Diaries as he makes observations about the values, economics and hopes that he sees in a town's stores, museums, temples, and office buildings. This isn't a book about bicycling, per se, but it's about the parts of a city you see while riding a bicycle.

I've just started reading it and I like it. I'll have a further review when the book is released on September 21.

David Byrne will be in San Francisco at the Herbst Theater for a book signing on Tuesday, September 29 at 8 PM.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I've got a fresh advance copy, too. I'm only about 30 pages in, and I already love it. Byrne's got his finger on the pulse of our thoughts about the practicality of bikes!

    ReplyDelete